Cold Open: Ext, Forest Path
“Does anyone else think that immediately leaving town looks a bit suspicious?” Arroway says, turning her head and jogging a bit to catch up with the others.
“Our leaving town, or Etnys’ leaving town?” Törk asks, his eyes on a handaxe that he’s sharpening as he walks down the lightly forested dirt, a shambling covered wagon before the party creaking and groaning as it shudders forth.
Arroway frowns. “Well, I was thinking Etnys, but now that you mention it…”
Vessel comes around the cart and hooks a thumb behind him. “The driver says that Abbotsford is is just a few more hours travel, and Hawk’s Rest is just outside of town. We should be there before nightfall.”
“Hawk’s Rest. Such a fancy name for a country home.” Nameless scowls, “How rich are these Larads?”
Törk pricks his finger on the axe edge and smiles at his handiwork. “How many paupers do you know with an ancestral country home at all, let alone one with a name?” He stows the axe in his belt.
Arroway nods, “And of course the village will be teeming with people eager to please the local landlord, so we must keep quiet as to our intentions.”
Nameless shakes her head, “And we still have no idea if she still has the Blue’s letter or if she handed it off before leaving, or if those invaders took it…”
Vessel nods, “Which is why we can’t make too much of a splash in town. We must keep quiet.”
A horn sounds, and the cart stops. A squeaky little voice bellows from somewhere in front of the cart, “None shall enter the Scales without our permission!”
Vessel, what do you do?
- Nameless’s positive relationship with The Three (a 5)
- Nameless’s conflicted relationship with The Great Gold Wyrm (a 6)
- Vessel’s positive relationship with The Priestess (2 6s)
Episode’s Spotlight: Vessel
- Vessel goes around the cart and is hit by an arrow in the chest. He falls, but the arrow hit his medallion of The One True God.
- Ahead, the road is blocked by a dozen kobolds standing under a giant red banner that billows in the wind. It is a rouge dragon on a rouge field.
- Arroway teleports into the fray, kills the kobold who holds the banner… and the banner stays; the pole is an illlusion.
- The banner then flaps around and hits Arroway, while the downed Kobolds stand again, their gazes empty
- Nameless yells out: “It’s a Warbanner! A sentient flag that steals troops for its own ends!” She shudders as a quick flashback shows her cowering as a warbanner with three rouge eyes on a sable field leads a bevy of demons out of a hellmouth
- The kobolds fall one by one, as Nameless focuses fire on the warbanner
- Törk is harrased by a kobold and cannot get any shots in
- Vessel’s gaze is caught by the banner, and we see his eyes glaze over. We hear the old woman from last episode again warn him about Nameless, and Vessel lets fly a javelin of faith at Nameless.
- the others dodge their friend’s magic and shred the banner, but Vessel continues his assault. The last of the kobolds fall and his friends pin Vessel down, but he still struggles.
- Arroway kisses Vessel, and he comes to his senses
- Vessel sets about consecrating the fallen, then stops, looks at a confused Arroway, and asks if something happened. He is shown all the wounds he caused, and sets about healing his friends.
- Nameless is picking up the threads that remain of the flag, and we hear her wand urge her to put it back together. She frowns at her wand and puts it away.
Ext, The Roadside Graves
- The wagon continues down the road as Vessel talks to Digar, the mutton-chopp’d gnome who is driving it.
- “No, we can’t,” says Nameless to her wand as she wraps it up and stows it.
- Törk looks over at Nameless, “Who are you talking to?”
- Nameless looks somewhere between angry and embarrased. “No one.”
- Vessel: “A few hours, you said?”
- Digar: “Yes, if we don’t run into any more like that.”
- Törk points back the way they’ve come. “It might run into us. We’re being followed.”
- Digar: “That might be a few imperial guard… uh… friends of mine. We’d best make good time to avoid them.”
- Vessel immediatly puts a hand up. “Stop!” And runs to the side of the road.
- Vessel inspects three hastily-dug and rather shallow graves on the side of the road.
- Arroway joins him, “Someone you know?”
- Vessel shakes his head, “By reputation only.” He points to the symbols on the wooden tombstones, then rolls up a sleeve and shows an identical tattoo. “They are among the Priestess’ chosen, her elite guards.”
- Törk reconnoiters the area, and a shiver runs down his spine. “I sense something I have not felt for a long time.”
- Arroway looks concerned, “Why weren’t they taken back to Cathedral for a proper burial?"
- Vessel touches the fresh dirt, “I can only think of one reason: they are still dangerous. We should leave this place.”
The light is dim, now, and the sun is low on horizon. We hear screams from far off, and all turn backward.
- Vessel’s shoulders slump. “We must return to help.”
- Nameless shakes her head, “We must find Etnys Larad soon; we cannot turn back now."
- Vessel hops off the cart, “Then go do so. I’ll catch up. I’ve got this.” He disappears into the night.
- Törk looks at the women, shrugs, and follows Vessel into the darkness.
- Arroway: “A road trip with Nameless. Great.”
Ext, Outside Abbottsford
The wagon crests a hill as the sun is setting. In the valley below is a small village, surrounding an abbey near the river that bisects the town. But on the hill opposite, a large mansion dominates the landscape. The chyron fades in: Abbottsford.
- Quick cuts: Digar pulls the cart into town, heads into the pub waving behind him, Nameless and Arroway walk across the bridge and up the hill, through the gates that read “Hawk’s Rest”, and to the door.
- A majordomo answers, looks perturbed at Arroway’s presence, and leads them into the sitting room.
- “Help yourself to the sherry,” he says, before closing the door and locking them inside.
- Nameless pours two sherries, hands one over to Arroway. Both women look at the drink, pause a beat, and then decide not the touch the stuff.
Ext, The Roadside Graves
- Vessel finds an imperial guard pinned to a tree, her throat slit. She has blood smeared on her body, and we smash cut quickly to the symbol of The Elf Queen: the blood makes the three stars about her face.
- Törk looks around, but shakes his head. “There are no tracks to follow.”
- Vessel pushes past, looking down. The camera spins and goes to a birds eye, and we see that the blood in the grass makes another three-star shape. “We must go warn the Elf Queen immediately.”
Int, The Sitting Room
- Etnys Larad enters, looking young and confident. “You survived the gala. Well done!”
- Arroway is taken aback for a moment, “Thank you?”
- “I must thank you for aiding young Horace. He can be… shall we say a pain in the ass. But he is my nephew and it is my duty to protect him when I can.”
- Nameless nods, “You are welcome.”
- “Kill her; take it!” says Nameless’s wand to no one but Nameless.
- “Now, he told me that you would have something of his to return to me. That, too, is my duty.”
- Nameless nods, “We do not have it, but one of our associates does. When he arrives he will give it to you.” That last is forceful, as if she would pry the signet ring from Vessel’s fingers to deliver it, if needed. “And you have something to give to us?”
- But Etnys Larad is not happy. “I belive you are mistaken. I have something you want, but I shall not give it to you without proper payment.”
- “Payment?” Arroway asks
- “You’ve noticed, no doubt, that things are not quite right around Abbotsford. Perhaps you had trouble coming into town?”
- “We did,” says Nameless.
- “And might I ask who attacked you?”
- Arroway jumps in, trying to avoid offering too much information for free. “Bandits.”
- “Kobold bandits?” Etnys Larad asks, an eyebrow arched at the attempted subterfuge.
- Nameless nods, “Led by a sentient flag.” Arroway shoots Nameless a look, but Nameless doesn’t notice at all.
- Etnys Larad smiles, “Yes, some kobolds in the area found an old camp from the last time the Gold fought the Three near here. The Warbanners inside have caused quite a stir as they continue the ages-old war with fresh troops. I need you t go to the camp and kill a few more of the abominations before they destroy my town.” She retrieves a folded map from her voluminous sleeve, and hands it over. “When you’ve done so, return and we can discuss our next steps. I trust you have a place to stay in town?”
- “We do,” says Arroway, “But what is stopping us from simply taking what we need?”
- Etnys Larad looks innocently at Arroway, “From whom?”
- After a moment, Etnys Larad turns, “I trust that you can show yourselves out when you have finished your sherry,” she says, and is gone.
- Both women look back at their drinks.
Reunion; quick summary of what was found.
- Arroway: “Can this letter wait until we warn the Elf Queen?”
- Nameless: “No, we must finish this now.”
- Vessel: “Then we must do so quickly. We start in the morning. Early.”
Montage of finding the camp
- Törk looks forward, looks down at the map, and as he looks up a new path is apparent
- a kobold and a warbanner fall in a heap
- Vessel prays at another grave site
- two warbanners lead their bands against each other, with no progress made as each side’s troops fall and stand again. Törk picks a few down from afar.
- half way up a sheer cliff, a small golden dome is perched. It is cracked and half-caved-in, and looks to be a relic of some other age.
- Törk and Nameless try to sneak in, but are ambushed by kobold guards who are quickly dispatched
- Arroway finds a way in, and the others follow
Int, Cathedral Sanctuary
- Arroway spies another warbanner in the apse, a verdant leaf on verdant stripes. She teleports into the basilica and surprises some sleeping kobolds.
- the warbanner flutters over to Arroway, and the monk is beat down and bleeding profusely when the flag flits away a moment later.
- Vessel teleports into the fray as well, and the warbanner heads to him next. Again we see the eyes glaze, and again Vessel launches a bolt at Nameless.
- But Nameless is crackling with gathered energy. She lets loose a lightning bolt that tears through the warbanner and a few of its minions.
- Törk and Arroway are plowing through the kobolds, besieged on all sides.
- Vessel comes to his senses, and with a mighty call to his god calls forth Judgment on the warbanner. “For your sins I sentence you, and you shall be no more!” The warbanner is shredded in a burst of holy light.
- “green!” yell the remaining kobolds. “Green!” yells Nameless‘s wand. “Free!” “Green!” “Free the Green!” a chorus of voices calls. Nameless’s wand echoes loudest: “You will free the Green!" And we see an extreme close up as her eyes open. She’s at the edge of a precipice, and as the camera dollies back she takes a breath and steps off.