Ext, The Walls of Santa Cora
The crowds along the city wall of Santa Cora would give a fire commissioner a coronary, if such an occupation existed. The whole town seems to be on the walls, and the vendors are making a pretty penny on it, selling multi hued banners you see here and there, noisemakers you hear no matter how much you’d like not to.
The camera drops into the crowd and dollys through them, then over the edge of the wall down to the fields below, and out to a small hill outside the city walls where a couple dozen dark green orcs stand, surrounded by carts loaded with stone and timber and jewels. We pan up to the top of the lead cart, where a taller Orc, missing his right arm, holds a cherry-sized opal in his left arm, which he speaks into and which magnifies his gravelly voice a thousandfold. “We come to heal Cathedral, to patch wound where shrine to Klirsh is missed. We seek entrance and permission to build, and will wait until we receive these things, that you might receive these things.”
The camera spins back to take in the impossibly-tall tower of The Cathedral and Santa Cora around it, then flies across the fields, up the bleached-white wall, and settles into a close up of Törk, his face grim. “I left him for dead under the avalanche,” he whispers, “but by Thorin’s beard, Dral the Brideslayer lives.”
Vessel, you have never seen Törk so shaken before. What do you do?
Episode Spotlight: Vessel
- Vessel orders the door opened to let the pilgrims enter. When asked under whose authority he acts, he uses his Unique to call down lightning, which gets results.
- the pilgrims are permitted entrance under the protection of Vessel, who welcomes them and asks them not to tarnish his reputation
- Törk confronts Dral, who ackowledges him and says that he has paid dearly for his past
- as the pilgrims enter the city, a bystander goes to throw a rock at them, but Arroway emerges from the crowd and stays their hand. “Any who wish to enter and worship are welcome here”
Ext, Morning, A Feast Day on the other side of town
- Nameless walks through the crowd arm in arm with Ser Lorwick, bantering and having a good time
- Ser Lorwick, out of his element, offers to buy terrible food; Nameless steers him away from it and toward a confectionary
Ext, the streets of Santa Cora
The pilgrims slowly make their way toward The Cathedral
- Törk warns the orcs that they are being watched, and then warns his compatriots that no good can come of this
- Vessel tries to calm him down
- the pilgrims find a town square near the east gate of The Cathedral and circle their wagons there
- Vessel, hearing Törk’s story, decides to once again warn the orcs to be good
- Dral nods understandingly, “We all have pasts we hope to atone for.”
- Flashback: Ext, a city in flames
- People run toward the flames and away from something unseen. The chyron reads Concord
- Vessel, looking younger and in different clothes, is among the runners
- Vessel urges two others to follow him down an alley. He finds a door and, to save himself, closes it before his fellows can enter. A jet of flames engulfs them.
Int, a tavern
- Ser Lorwick finishes a sentence in such a way as to suggest he knows Nameless’s actual name
- L: “Have you thought more about my question?”
- N: “I have. I still need more time.”
- L: “Of course.” They kiss.
Ext, The Town Square
- Arroway asks the orcs about their God; they explain that Klirsh is a redeemer, who burns away the weakness and the weak and leaves the strong stronger. They sing a song that includes a few unsubtle mentions and praises of violence.
- Arroway warns them to practice as they will, but to avoid violence.
- Vessel says that the orcs have been warned enough, now
- Vessel asks to talk about their god and his
- Arroway walks away from the group, and is given a note: Bring me the Bloodstone Goblet
Int, A Bakery
- Nameless is buying supplies. She hears orcish outside, exits to find three orcs, and is confused. But since the town guard does nothing, she seeks out her friends
Int, Liale’s Tiny Office
- Liale says that he would rather that the orcs had arrived at the west gate
- Vessel condemns The Cathedral as a charade if they will not let the orcs build. He says that the Cathedral is built to many fake gods, but that its symbolism is powerful and necessary
- Vessel convinves Liale to let the orcs build a shrine on level 84
Ext, An Alley off from The Town Square
- Arroway asks Dral about Klirsh
- “We have all lost something” he says “Klirsh lets us learn to live without it”
- Arroway instantly changes from pumping him for information to genuine interest
- Arroway asks if she might attend a service tonight. She is warned that Klirsh might hurt her
- Arroway asks again, and is told to come tonight to learn the songs
Ext, The Town Square
- Arroway and Dral return to find Vessel facing off against Törk, who is backed by a mob of townsfolk
- Arroway stands between and asks what is going on
- Törk and his mob want the orcs to surrender their arms while inside city limits
- Arroway takes the Orc’s side
- Nameless takes Törk’s side, mostly to be against Arroway
Ext, The Town Square
- Vessel punches Törk in the face
- the crowd surges forward
- Arroway attempts to calm them but fails
- Dral orders the orcs to drop whatever they have; they comply but the mob is still advancing
- Nameless shoots flames in the air to prevent any violence, since the orcs have complied with the order to surrender their arms
- Arroway takes this moment to steal the Bloodstone Goblet
- cowed by Nameless’s show of force, the crowd holds off. Törk orders a town guardsman to gather the weapons, which are revealed to be merely pots and pans, with one shovel. “Happy now?” asks Arroway
Int, Sundown, Arroway’s Room
- Arroway stares at the goblet in front of her, her face pensive. She does not wish to do the things she does, but has no choice
- camera pans through the wall to see Törk, nursing a black eye and drinking while singing “Farewell, Dwarven Ladies”. The orcs’ song changes, and he shakes his head, puts on his quiver, and says “time to put a stop to this”
Int, Liale’s Office
Liale is gathering his things as he prepares to leave for the day.
- Vessel presses for a spot to build a shrine to The One True God. Liale is evasive.
- Vessel eventually leaves with the gnome, but when they get outside they see the melee that has broken out after Törk has attacked the pilgrims’ camp. Törk is in the center of the chaos, repeatedly punching Dral. “This is for your sister, my bride-to-be!”
- Flashback: The Elf Queen’s Court
- Vessel, dressed in a militaristic uniform, receives orders, then turns; the background changes to him in a melee as he beats down those who stand between him and his target. We shift back and forth between him in his uniform fighting in a sunlit field and him in his robes fighting by firelight in the Town Square, as he wades through the chaos in each.
- we end with Vessel in Törk’s face: “This ends now”
Ext, Town Square; interspersed with Int, Arroway’s Room
- Outside: Törk attempts to fight off the cleric, but the dwarf is drunk and shaken.
- Inside: Nameless hears the commotion and runs into Arroway’s room to get her. She sees the Bloodstone Goblet on the table.
- Outside: Vessel and Törk exhange blows; both end up tangled on the ground
- Inside: Nameless asks Arroway who she realy works for. Arroway tells her to stop talking about things she knows nothing about.
- Outside: Vessel gets in a solid hit that staggers Törk
- Inside: Nameless says that this cannot continue; she cannot fight next to someone she cannot trust. Arroway simply says “Leave” and Nameless complies. We pan back and see that the Goblet has disappeared from where it was.
- Outside: Vessel prepares a final blow “You’re missing the point!”
- Outside: Dral steps in and stays his hand. “The point is: just as I am no longer who I was, you are no longer who you were, Edwain.”
- Nameless tells Ser Lorwick that she will have an answer for him before the next time they meet.
- Törk has an untouched drink, sheepishly looking at Vessel
- Arroway listens to Dral say “We have all lost something” before the orcs start a chant
- Vessel joins the campfire “I never got a chance to tell you about my god”
- pedestal up… up… up… to the 84th floor; dolly through the window to an empty room, where the Bloodstone Goblet sits
- Nameless’s positive relationship with The Three (a 5)
- Törk’s negative relationship with The Orc Lord (a 5)
- Vessel’s positive relationship with The Priestess (a 5)
- Nameless, riding an owlbear, is outpacing the other owlbear-riders behind her
- Vessel, in quicksand up to his waist, looks around. “Uh, guys…”
- Arroway looks incredulous, “what do you mean it’s not dead?”
- Törk is in a dark cavern, covered in cuts and bruises and buried in rocks. The sound of footsteps behind him makes him look about, but his eyes do not focus. “Is somebody there?!” and we cut to black