Ext, Santa Cora
The rosey hues of sunrise bathe the impossibly tall spires of Cathedral. The camera flies in and we focus on a huge stained glass window of a tree on fire, the flames each a glimmering shard of glass. Suddenly the glass shatters outward as a figure flies out, and the camera tilts and follows as the figure plummets down, screaming, toward the city below. Closer, closer, and at the last second the camera tilts up to see our four heroes standing a few feet away, eyes wide, blood suddenly spattered on their traveling clothes.
Vessel, this is not the welcome you expected. What do you do?
- Nameless’s negative relationship with The Elf Queen (a 5)
- Vessel’s positive relationship with The Priestess (a 5)
- Grimnir’s conflicted relationship with The Dwarf King (a 5)
- No icon relations for Arroway.
- No icon relations for Törk.
Int, Liale’s Office
- Vessel rushes in, armor growing around his form. “Are we under attack?!”
- Liale looks confused. “What are you on about?”
- Vessel explains what happened outside. Liale shakes his head, “You always show up at the most interesting times, V.”
- Vessel and the others race up to the 84th floor. Baäb welcomes them, apologizing that Dral is away on a pilgrimage. Although many orcs are in the shrine to Klirsh, none heard the scuffle in the next room, due to their singing.
Ext, By the Body
- Grimnir arrives and finds two Cathedral guards doing their best with the mess, but unsure of how to proceed. Grimnir mocks them slightly, and inspects the body. He takes a part of the dead man’s robes, and finds on the body an obsidian dagger and a cask of holy oil.
- He proceeds inside, where Liale the tiny gnome is at his giant desk surrounded by paperwork. The dwarf asks the gnome about the body (“was that your doing?” asks the gnome. “Sadly no”, replies Grimnir).
- Liale agrees to look up the symbol on the cloth, and opens a filing cabinet filled with paperwork. “This may take a moment, I’m afraid.”
Int, Klirsh’s Shrine
- Arroway is climbing back in the window. She found scuff marks from climbing gear, so it’s likely someone went out or came in that direction.
- It is decided that they should investigate the body more thoroughly. They go to leave, but there are Cathedral guards at the door. “Your presence is requested.”
Int, Hall of Shrines
- The guards are leading everyone through a large hall full of small shrines.
- Flashback: The Cathedral
- Vessel is talking to a younger version of Liale, who invites him to wander the Hall of Shrines. As he does so the power of each shrine he passes seems to dim. Even the worshipped floating guy in suspended animation wobbles. But then Vessel finds a small scratch in the wall that looks somewhat like a peacock feather, asks “is that you?” and reaches out to touch it, and the scratch glows and overtakes the frame.
- Back in the present, everyone is walking through the Hall of Shrines, led now by guards. They’re led into a small hearing room where other adventurers are assembled. Reed enters, tells Vessel that they will “talk later” about the body, asks GG if he’s from the The Dwarf King (“did my stature give me away?”) and then addresses everyone.
- There are multiple stories of undead: the elf queen’s guards; the empty tombs of gladiators near Axis; the Last Archmage was seen recently. The Lich King is making a move, and making it soon. The Priestess fears that his move involves The Cathedral, and the power of that structure given over to The Lich King is something no one wants to see.
- GG and Törk bicker about height and accomplishments throughout. Reed warns them to quiet down, and after a while snaps her fingers and something wraps around Törk‘s face. He can’t talk, then falls over unconscious.
- “But what I kill stays dead!”
- Reed continues. One of The Priestess’s associates went in search of the rogue element within the Cathedral, but now he is missing. She asks if anyone here has heard of him; Purge. Arroway thought he was a myth, but Reed assures everyone that he is quite real.
- Suddenly, the door bursts open and in walks the broken corpse that was outside not so long ago.
Int, The Hearing Chamber
- He shrieks and bursts into flames.
- Vessel requests that Reed free Törk, and with a snap of her fingers she does so, while also disappearing.
- The ghast then begins tearing into people with the bone claws that have sprouted from his fingers. When people are distracted he unhinges his jaw and bites into them.
- But with the combined might of those in the room he is finally defeated, and GG pisses on him to put out the flames.
- Reed returns, and when asked if this is Purge says that she does not believe so, but that at this point not much is left but a charred skeleton, and it is difficult to tell.
- GG notes that Liale was unable to identify the symbol as belonging to any registered shrine in the Cathedral. Arroway asks: “What’s the symbol?”. GG pulls it out: “A black salamander.”
- Flashback: The Streets of Axis
- a young Arroway sees small children being rounded up. She follows. The children are let out in an alley and shown a plate of food. The handlers produce a black dagger. “The winner eats.” The children look unsure, then lunge at each other.
- Arroway: ”The Obsidian Salamanders."
- Grimnir: “never heard of ’em.”
- Arroway: “Not an accident. We need to find them.”
Int, Cathedral Exploration Montage
- Vessel walks through the Hall of Shrines, and takes down the Peacock banner he put over the scratch. Behind, a salamander is inscribed on the wall.
- Grimnir goes into a door, then a moment later runs back out. Camera pulls back to see a “temple of love” sign above the door.
- In the catacombs, Nameless is slinging fire at corpses dressed in the uniforms of The Elf Queen’s guard.
- Törk runs out of a door with ham hock in his fist, which he tosses at Grimnir. An angry cook follows, sees Grimnir, and gives chase.
- Arroway is following the others down a corridor, then ducks through a hidden passage without their knowing. She approaches a circle of candles, and reaches to pick up something in the center. As she does, her sleeve shifts and we see a salamander tattoo on her arm.
Int, A Dark Cathedral Hall
- The party turns a corner and walks toward the camera, which pedestals down to see words floating in the air, shimmering dimly in the gloom.
- Vessel reads them: “All Who Enter Here Forfeit My Protection.” He looks at the others. “This part of the Cathedral is lesser known. This part houses the shrines to the darker gods.”
- Grimnir smiles, “sounds like my kind of place.”
- Flashback: The Dwarf King’s Throne Room
- Grimnir stands before the throne. “What do you require of me, my liege?”
- “I am not your liege anymore, outcast. But I have something for you in any case. You are to go to the Cathedral. A cancer grows there, from the beating heart of the kingdom of men. A darkness that cannot be allowed to spread. You are to find the cancer and cut it out. If the rumors are to be believed, you might end up challenging a god itself. Sound worth your time?”
- Grimnir: “challenge a god? I’ll likely die! Grand!”
- The party is walking deeper into the Forbidden Wing, as Arroway catches up.
- Grimnir points up at the arches And asks Törk if he’s noticed. “This isn’t meant to celebrate. It’s meant to keep somethin’ in. why are we headed this way?”
- Vessel: “all the other parts of the cathedral people venture to and return from. Not this one.”
- Grimnir nods, “Vessel, you seem to have some experience in these matters. So might I ask: do gods bleed?”
- Vessel nods, “only fake ones.”
- Grimnir: frowns, “but they’re all fake here.”
- Vessel: “on that we agree.”
- Törk catches a trail. “Humanoid. Purge, perhaps?” They follow…
Int, The Dust Chamber
A fountain trickles on one wall, bioluminescent mushrooms glowing from the waters and barely illuminating the chamber, dominated by a large statue.
- Törk is following the trail, when suddenly skeletons enter from the side chambers.
- Grimnir charges forward, Nameless arcs lightning through them, and then when it looks alright the statue and the frieze above the fountain spring to life: a pair of gargoyles accost the party, but are soon so much rubble.
- Vessel: “the skeletons tell me we are on the right track. The gargoyles tell me why no one ever comes here.”
- Arroway chips at the skeleton. “Obsidian.”
- Grimnir takes out a loupe and inspects the gargoyle. “A small carving, but it’s a salamander, all right.”
- Flashback: The Streets of Axis
- close up of the obsidian dagger, blood soaked. Pan back, and young Arroway is holding the blade. “Welcome to the Obsidian Salamanders, lass.”
- Törk spots another carving above an archway. “That way, which is the same direction the tracks lead.” Everyone heads that way.
- Arroway stays behind. She reaches up and grabs the salamander, slips it off the facade, and puts it back on another archway.
- Flashback: Dral’s Shrine
- Arroway approaches the shrine, sees Dral, and asks for guidance. He offers guidance if she will deliver a letter to Törk. She agrees.
- Cut to inside on the pillows. Arroway: “I do not know what to do. I feel pulled in three directions.”
- Dral: “What do you want to do?”
- Arroway: “I want what is best for my friends.”
- Dral: “then you know what you have to do.”
- Back to the present. Arroway looks down the hallway after her friends, then goes the opposite direction.
- The camera careens down the hall following the others, and we see Törk leading as the others chat among themselves. He bends down to inspect the tracks, and two letters fall from his pack. He inspects them.
- The larger is on heavy parchment, “To Törk, from Dral”. He runs his finger over the seal, “From the Orc Lord.” He pockets It before the others notice.
- The smaller is addressed simply to “everyone, from Arroway”. He looks around, sees that she is missing, and unfolds the letter. “Goodbye, my friends.”
- no icon relations for Arroway
- Grimnir’s conflicted relationship with The Dwarf King (a 5)
- Nameless’s positive relationship with The Three (a 5)
- Nameless’s negative relationship with The Elf Queen (a 6)
- no icon relations for Törk
- no icon relations for Vessel
- Vessel stands before The Priestess. “So it all comes down to me?”
- Grimnir, bloodied, is holding his weapon as a silhouette rises above him, bigger and bigger. “This is more like it!”
- Törk sits quietly away from the others, takes out the remaining letter, and opens it. His mouth falls open.